The government, therefore, urged residents of the town to abide by the restriction order pending the time the security of the area will improve, as police and other security agencies are on top of the situation to restore normalcy.
This was contained in a statement signed by the chief press secretary to the governor, Lekan Adeniran, a copy of which was obtained by LEADERSHIP in Abeokuta, the state capital, yesterday.
The statement further indicated that the state governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has directed security agencies in the state to rid Sagamu and environs of the menace of cultists and cult-related activities.
Meanwhile, the state Police Command has confirmed the discovery of another four corpses of the victims of the cult killings, thereby bringing the total number of persons killed to eight.
The command's commissioner of police, Abiodun Alamutu who spoke with journalists in Abeokuta said nine suspects have so far been arrested in connection with the tragic incident.
Alamutu, who attributed the remote cause of the clashes to a piece of land sold, said, “A land was sold and some form of commission or settlement was paid to a cult group by the owner of the land. A rival cult group got to know about the payment and went after members of the other group in a bid to get a share of the commission.
“The situation degenerated into an attack and counter attack situation which started from Wednesday last week and continued till Sunday, leading to the death of eight persons.”
Investigation is still ongoing into the killings according to the commissioner of police.
Meanwhile, the chairman of the local government area, has imposed a restriction on the use of motorcycles in the area between 7pm and 6am daily as authorities battle to restore peace to the troubled town.
Governor Abiodun has also directed the police and sister security agencies “to deal ruthlessly and decisively” with those disturbing the peace of the town.
Reiterating the state government's zero tolerance to acts of brigandage and lawlessness, Prince Abiodun warned that those responsible for this current crisis will find themselves to blame.
“As a responsible and responsive government, we are very sad with the resurgence of activities of criminal elements under different outlawed groups, raising unnecessary tension in the sleepy town of Sagamu and its environs.
“Let me categorically state that we are more than determined to put an end quickly to these nefarious activities of these hoodlums and enemies of our people; who are hell bent to truncate the peace of our land.
“Let these urchins be rest assured that the state will be too hot for them to operate as we are reevaluating the security architecture for greater surveillance and tactical operation,” he said.
The governor noted that the new security approach would be implemented in collaboration with the traditional institution, community and religious leaders, youth groups as well as other critical stakeholders.